Fox and the Hound – Bear Trap Game
“Listen good, Tod, ’cause it’s either education or elimination.” – Big Mama
My hubby showed the kids The Fox and the Hound this week. I remember being terrified of the bear as a child. That is one MEAN bear!
The scene where Amos Slade puts down the traps in the forest to catch Todd gave me a great idea for a game.
Bear Trap Game
- Sidewalk chalk
How to Play:
- Designate the boundaries (one section of sidewalk should do the trick). These boundaries are the hunter’s ground.
- Choose someone to be the hunter (they draw the “traps”) and everyone else is a bear/fox.
- The hunter starts by drawing 3 large circles in the hunter’s ground.
- These circles are the hunter’s traps.
- The bears/foxes have to try to get from one long end of the hunter’s ground to the other without stepping on the traps.
- Each round the hunter will add three more “traps”. (Start big and get smaller as the area fills up or it will take FOREVER to finish the game.)
- The hunter will keep adding traps until there is only one bear/fox left. That person wins and gets to be the new hunter for the next game.
- Remember you must stay in bounds!
Princess jumped, dodged, and tip-toed her way through the hunter’s area multiple times.
Here’s what our hunter’s ground looked like when we were done playing. I was amazed that I had to fill in so many small spaces.
*Just a note: This game is great for preschool aged children and older. My toddler wasn’t interested in it at all.
Click the picture below to watch that bear scene. *Caution: May be too scary for very small children.
You might also like: