Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs – Dwarf Dig
Heigh ho! Heigh ho! To play a game we go!
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was Disney’s first full-length animated film in color. Isn’t that amazing?! My mom remembers going to see it as a little girl and being scared when Snow White goes running through the forest.
There were so many avenues I could have taken with this movie. I love the dwarfs – Dopey is my favorite! The scene where the dwarfs are digging for gems in the cave gave me the idea for this week’s activity.
- Bowls (you can do 1 per child or you can use 1 large container to share)
- Spoons (1 per kid)
- Gems of different colors and sizes
- Craft Sand (you could also use rice, flour, etc.)
- Color Sheet (link below)
- Size Sheet (link below)
How to Play:
- Fill your bowls/container with gems
- Pour sand over the top of the gems
- Using the spoons, stir the sand and gems together
- Gather your bowls of sand and sheets. Go outside (or put down a tablecloth–this activity can get messy.) These are the sheets that I quickly created, but click the pictures below to print off your own size and color sheets.
- Using the spoons, let the kids dig for dwarf gems. When they find them they can sort them by color or size on the different sheets.
Goofy got the color sheet. It was interesting for me to see that she could sort them by color, but when I would ask her what color gem she was sorting she had no idea.
Princess sorted by size. You can tell that she is very organized and likes to line things up in a straight line.
Here’s how Bud participated. He was happy to be fed and outside with his sisters.
Dwarf Dig Color Sheet:
Dwarf Dig Size Sheet:
Here are some other movies/TV shows you could use this idea with:
- The Rescuers
- My Little Pony
- Treasure Island
My kids had a blast with this activity! I hope yours will too.
Here’s the digging scene for you to enjoy.
You might also like: